Losing your important documents while traveling can be a huge problem. You can’t get on an international flight without your passport and you can’t pay for a hotel without your credit card/bank card if you don’t have cash.
Here is what I do when I am going on a major trip:
- check that all my documents are up to date
- check that the magnetic strips on my credit cards and bank cards are in good shape
- renew/replace as needed
- scan all my documents and both sides of any cards into PDF files
- I print a copy and leave at home
- I print another copy and leave with a friend
- I use my Gmail account or an online drop box service to store copies of these PDFs for access on the road
This way if I lose some or all of my documents I can either look them up myself online and/or have someone at home help me get back on track.
A few more tips:
- have at least 2 credit cards and 2 bank cards so you can lose one and still keep on traveling without a huge hassle
- store the spare cards somewhere besides your wallet so it less likely you’ll lose both at once
- keep enough cash on you for several days of traveling so if you lose your cards you have time to sort out how you’ll access more money
- if you can’t lock your valuables while traveling hide them instead
- when I am beach camping I just bury my cash and documents in the sand for security