Mo’ Rando Tweaking…

1 05 2012

Time for some shoe surgery...

I have a bad memory. If I don’t take care of stuff when it’s on my mind I’ll totally forget until the next time I have the same problem. That’s usually sometime that I can’t fix it so the cycle continues – often for an embarrassingly long time. So when I got back from the weekend’s 300K I had a to do list of things I wanted to sort out.

Surgery up close...

First off was cutting away part of the tongue of my bike shoes. They are fine for 100kms, but somewhere between 100k-200K they start to irritate me. Not awfully, but enough that I wanted to solve the problem. I just chopped the top part of the tongue off so it didn’t rub my top of my foot near the ankle.

Got the granny? - Yes!

Next up was sorting out my front derailleur so it would shift across all 3 rings reliably. Not sure why I couldn’t take care of it on the ride, but my brain wasn’t running at 100%! Anyways a few minutes in the workstand and it was sorted. I did a road test just to be sure.

Miche needle bearing headset keeps the front end turning...

I checked the headset tension and it was a bit less than I thought it was so I snugged it up which got rid of the hand’s free riding shimmy. Clearly it’s a pretty sensitive adjustment!

Smoothing out the edges...

I tweaked the saddle position slightly and used a dremel tool to smooth the edges of the leather around the perimeter of the saddle as well as the cut out.

It's a dirty job, but some component has to do it!

I cleaned the chain – which in my world is wipe it down with a rag and re-lube – finally wipe off excess lube after 30mins.  Checked chain wear – it was fine. I don’t futz with my chains much. I buy cheap ones, give them minimal maintenance and throw them out when they start to wear out, but before they trash my cassette/rings. I don’t notice any performance differences between $15 chains and $100 chains.

Got to measure the roll out...

Checked tires, spoke tension/rims, brakes and fenders for problems….all okay!

A necessary evil on a rando bike...

Re-calibrated bike computer as it’s been reading high. Roll out was 2063mm. The Cateye owner’s manual suggests a rollout of more than 2100mm for this size tire so that’s why you have to measure the roll out to get accurate odometer numbers.

Petzel e+lite & Bern helmet...

Made a note to buy some spare batteries for my Petzel e+lite as it’s been used on two 300K’s and some night training rides. I don’t want to run out of photons when my GPS craps out at night and I am relying on the cue sheet 100%.

My Boulder Bicycle on last weekend's 300K...

Except for the derailleur adjustment nothing I took care of was life or death, but these items took a couple hours to fit into my day and they’ll make my next brevet a little easier/nicer. That’s a good thing!