If you are a US based tech-geek I need your help.
One of my limitations when planning trips in the US is access to reliable internet data. My Canadian iPhone plan costs $3-$10/MB in the US – ouch! Which means I turn my data roaming off as I cross the border leaving me blind to what’s going on at work. Staying at hotels is great for internet access, but expensive and I don’t have access unless I am in my room. Using free WiFi at coffee shops is not reliable and doesn’t provide frequent convenient access.
Ideally I’d like to be able to check my work email 1/hr when in the US and I am not biking, kiting or surfing.
So I figured maybe getting a USB cellular modem for my laptop would be the ticket. I have a few questions:
- Can I walk into a US cellphone shop and start an account as a Canadian with Canadian address and credit card?
- Can I get a monthly plan that I can start and stop depending on when I am in the US?
- Any suggestion for carriers that provide good coverage in the Western US?
- Any suggestions for specific data plans?
- Do you see any problems with this idea?
Any suggestions or ideas how to get internet data to my laptop regularly at a reasonable cost when I am road tripping in the US would be appreciated.