I’ve been wearing a pair of North Face pants similar to these ones all week long. I have other pants with me, but for working in the field they kick the most ass.
What I like about them:
- very rugged…I’ve had several pairs for 5-6yrs+ and never done any significant damage to them or worn them out.
- lots of pockets
- quick dry…I wash them in the shower to get the mud out and they are dry for the next morning
- look decent…dressy enough to go out for a nice dinner on a trip
- reasonable cost given the performance
- available in longer inseams…I like 34″ long pants
What I don’t like:
- they’ve got that “I’m ready to climb everest at any second” vibe that’s not always what I’m after
- when converted to shorts they look uber nerdy!
- I’d prefer just regular pants without the shorts, but I rarely see them in the 34″ inseam I like, but the shorts don’t cause an issue even though I never deploy them
- lots of outdoor geeks own them so be ready to show up at the gear swap dressed like 4 other folks!
For style and urban adventures I prefer the Prana pants I posted about recently. When things are going to get gnarly and I care more about toughness and functionality I’ll wear these North Face pants.