Coming back to Canada from Mexico I was stoked to have so many choices of bikes to ride. Sharon and I had a number of errands to do in town so naturally we decided to ride our bikes. I rode my Bike Friday New World Tourist. With a fleet of awesome bikes why ride the NWT?
- the small size was easiest to wrangle out of the packed garage
- the NWT is a nimble bike ideal for city riding
- the Nexus 8 IGH meant that I knew shifting would work without any fuss
- the NWT fits me great and is very comfortable
- it has dual racks so carrying stuff is a no brainer
- the flat BMX pedals are street shoe friendly
- fenders provide protection from road spray should it rain
- dyno headlight provides 24/7 lighting without fussing with batteries
- battery taillight doesn’t need attention often
- rear view mirror makes mixing it up with downtown traffic easier
- supple 40mm tires make the ride fast and comfortable
- v-brakes with salmon Koolstop pads provide reliable all weather braking
- small bell is nice for politely getting people’s attention on the MUP
Some of these things are specific to a high quality folding bike like the NWT, but a lot of them are additions/upgrades you can make to any bike to make it more practical.