If I am going to ride any brevets in 2011 I have to get some training KMs into my legs in early 2011. The best bike in my fleet for the job is my Bow Cycle BBC 24 cross bike. It’s light and responsive while still having room for fenders along with sensible rubber. The wide range gearing is useful for when I am tired and steep climbs are in my way. The powerful canti brakes will stop me fast in rain or shine.
Here’s how I’ll get it ready to rando:
- adjust fenders [they got tweaked over the last couple years]
- fit 30mm Grand Bois Cypres for a fast, but comfy ride
- buy a Brooks road bike saddle [my existing saddles don’t work well for bars below the saddle]
- add GPS mount and GPS for navigation
- add a Dinotte light [with glare reduction DIY hack] upfront
- add a Planet Bike Superflash at the back end for a rear light
- add a tailrack bag for extra storage as needed
- add a Road Morph pump to frame
Then I just have to ride that sucker!