No this isn’t a post about safe sex. But I am a big believer in protecting your valuable equipment. So I guess it’s a similar message…=-)
Whenever I buy a new or used board I get a bag for it. Doesn’t matter if it’s a snowboard, SUP, kiteboard or surfboard. I even have bags for my SUP paddles.
- protective bags cost about $30-$100 depending on size [my 11′ SUP bags were $80]
- boards cost $500-$2000
- bags last 10 years+
- riding a pristine board = priceless
- selling a used board in excellent condition will recoup your cost for the bag and you can use the same bag for another board
- bags make it easy and fast to pack your gear because you don’t have to spend time worrying about damaging it
- bags protect the inside of your vehicle and house from the boards that have sharp edges or wax on them
The economics of protecting your valuable gear is straightforward. For about 1% per year you can keep your boards in tip top shape as well as protecting your vehicle and house from the boards. You’ll easily see that investment returned when you go to sell the board used and personally I absolutely love pulling out an old board that looks sweet because it hasn’t been bashed around in the bed of my pick up.