For those that are into pocket cameras I’ve made some changes to my cameras. I lost my Canon S870IS which has taken the majority of my blog shots the last few years…=-( I liked it enough that I had a spare! But, Sharon has adopted it after seeing how well it worked compared to her Sony – I’ve never tried a Sony camera I liked…mediocre photos every time….=-( My Olympus Stylus 850SW no longer focuses reliably and after 2 trips back to Olympus for repair I have given up on it…=-( So I was left with my Pentax Optio W20…which to its credit has never failed me, but it has also never taken great photos.
I had two thoughts in mind: 1) get a cheap decent pocket camera to tide me over until I found something I loved 2) buy a higher quality compact-ish camera like the Canon G11.
So I walked over to Best Buy [love the new neighbourhood since everything is so close!] and checked out their offerings.
I left with the Canon Powershot SD1400IS for a few reasons:
- it was cheap
- it used SD cards which I have a lot of
- wide angle lens
- specs looked decent
- I needed a camera to keep blogging!
- Canon has never let me down and has always produced quality photos for me so they deserve my brand loyalty
I wanted to grab a Canon G11, but didn’t because:
- it cost double what the SD1400IS cost
- I really need a pocket camera even if a have a larger format G11 so I needed the smaller camera regardless
- although the G11 is clearly a better camera so far I haven’t demonstrated a tendency to use larger cameras effectively since I like to travel lightweight with minimal gear
- I’ll keep thinking about it and grab one later if I come to the conclusion it’s a good move
All my CETMA photos and anything since then has been shot with the SD1400IS. I’ll post a review later after more use, but I’m generally pleased with it. Not quite as wide angled as the SD870IS I lost, but not bad. I’m enjoying the very small form factor – although using it one handed is a bit harder than my larger cameras. Overall confirms to me that Canon is the go to brand for consumer point and shoot compacts.
Future camera plans:
- I’ll use the SD1400IS for now for my general purpose camera needs
- I’ll use the Pentax Optio W20 for my waterproof camera needs
- I’ve got enough Air Miles to buy a camera so I’ll see if they have a better waterproof camera option than my W20…if so I’ll grab it….I checked and they don’t offer the G11 unfortunately or that would be a no brainer!
- I’ll ponder the G11 as I use my SD1400IS and see if it makes sense…my ability to take kiteboarding shots with my SD1400IS is limited and may motivate me to get a camera with better long range capabilities
- I’ve tried a SLR and it’s just too big and complex to make any sense to me for use beyond my home and that’s not flexible enough
- Ultimately I need a good pocket camera and a good waterproof pocket camera…if I had a G11 on top that would be bonus!