I’m starting to get the hankering to ride a recumbent again. No specific goals this time other than to try something new and see what I think. This will be my fourth venture into the bent world.
My Recumbent resume:
- Vision R40 SWB was my first bent. I never felt at home with the handling and sold it after 1 season. Then I took a couple years off bents altogether.
- BikeE CLWB was my second bent and a lot of fun, but I got the dreaded recumbutt after more than an hour in the saddle and the performance was not remarkable. I took another couple years off at this point as well.
- I started back up with a Volae Expedition high racer, then tried a Challenge Taifun and Fujin SL SWB low racers. There was also a RANS Rocket SWB and a Challenge Hurricane in the mix for my riding partner. I sold all my bents in late 2008 so I’m coming up on 2 years bentless.
- The question is what bent to get and why?
The two front runners for my next bent are:
The Catrike Expedition shown in the photo above.
- I’ve always been intrigued by trikes and in particular the space frame design of the Catrike seems like a beautiful form and function mix.
- I’m pretty sure the go cart like handling and low slung riding position will be a ton of fun.
- This is about as different as it gets when it comes to my previous recumbents.
The RANS X-Stream shown in the photo below.
- I’ve never really “got” the LWB style recumbents until I saw the X-Stream.
- It looks fast, comfortable and easy to start/stop.
- I like the higher riding position for mixing it up with traffic as well as for riding with folks on DFs.
- My previous RANS Rocket was a sweet well made bent as was the RANS Street Crank Forward I had.
I’m not in any rush to make a decision as I’ve got a busy summer ahead of me, but I thought I would throw out my ideas so far and get some feedback to incorporate into the process. If you’ve got some thoughts about either bent or a totally different make/model I’m open to hearing from you.