Fairly often I get asked why I need so many bikes – both in real life and online. A lot of the time it’s said in jest, but some of the time people get downright snarky with me as if I paid for my bikes from their kid’s college fund. I generally ignore these questions and move on with my life as fast as possible, but occasionally I get tweaked and ruminate on the stupidity and irony of the question. I had one of the later moments yesterday and came up with my “Top 10 Witty Comebacks!”:
- Why do you need so much furniture [ie. sofas, chairs, dining room tables etc…]?
- Why do you need 2 cars?
- Why do you need new cars?
- Why do you need 3 TVs?
- Why do you need big screen HD TVs?
- Why do you need a home theater system and 17 speakers?
- Why do you need cable/satellite service for your TVs?
- Why do you need golf clubs, skis, snowboards, etc?
- Why do you need to go to the mall so often?
- Why are you so out of shape?
I will never argue that I don’t have way more bikes than I need or can even ride properly, but when I look around me at the stuff people buy and the things they spend their time on I don’t, for the most part, see objects or activities that make any more sense than owning 7-10 bicycles.
I also don’t go around bugging people about their life choices. You want to have 3 big screen HD TVs, satelite and digital cable TV service as well as a 17 speaker surround sound home theatre with heated electronically operated lazy-boy recliners upgraded with built in beer fridges???…cool…enjoy…I’m too busy riding bike, working on my bikes, reading about bikes and writing about bikes to care…=-)