The night ride I posted about yesterday made me aware I was in need of a small LED light I could clip to my Bern helmet’s visor to use for viewing the cue sheet/map as well as for any on bike repairs/looking for stuff in my bar bag. Mike B on the Randon Group pointed me to this Petzel e-LITE mini light….which at the moment is the best option to meet my needs.
What I like:
- small & light
- red LED which won’t affect my night vision
- bright enough white LEDs to use as a back up be seen light and shine at road signs
- long enough battery life to be useful [probably will get used less than 5mins/hour of the ride
- clips to visor
- waterproof/able to operate at cold temps
- I've had good luck with other Petzel products
What I don’t like:
- expensive non-rechargeable funky batteries that will end up in a landfill
- not enough light to be a backup light for the bike’s headlamp
- not sure how secure the visor clip is
- not sure how easy it is to operate with gloves on
If anyone owns one of these I’d love to know what you think of it. I won’t be buying anything for a couple weeks so I am open to other options.