So based on feedback I’ve rec’d on my rain jacket post and some additional reading I’ve done online here are the contenders at the moment. If you’ve had any experience with ‘em good or bad let me know.
Gore Bike Wear Alp X Jacket [image above]:
- the Gore products seem to get good reviews from cyclists
- very breathable
- checking on fit
- easily packable in a handlebar bag
- average cost of a quality rain jacket @ $279USD
- comes in a variety of colours, but nothing super bright
- not a lot of reflective material on it
- limited venting options [relies entirely on fabric's breathability]
- I can order this to a friend’s place in the US and confirm size before taking it home to Canada
- confirmed that it fits me well
- probably a bit less breathable than other jackets, but offers a ton of venting options
- more bulky than other options
- can return if I’m not happy
- high visibility colour option and decent amount of reflective material [could use more]
- under $200 so a bit cheaper than Gore jacket
- I can try this jacket on at a REI on way home to confirm sizing [I tend to fit REI brand stuff]
- eVent fabric is highly rated by endurance cyclists
- limited venting options [relies entirely on fabric to breathe]
- cost is under $200 – same as MEC jacket
- can return on next trip to US if not happy
- hate the colour and this is only option
- not sure about fit
- gets good reviews online for breathability
- not rated very highly for durability
- low cost at under $100 so durability less of a concern
- light and packs well
At the moment I’m leaning towards the Derecho for the great fit and decent breathability [fabric combined with venting]. The moderate cost makes up for the bulkier size and worst case this will be a decent commuter/touring jacket even if it doesn’t meet my rando needs.
If the fit of the Gore jacket looks good [thanks for checking Val] than I may go that route and suck up the extra cost for better breathability and lower cost.
I’m going to try on the REI jacket if it crosses my path and see how it fits and how F-ugly the pumpkin orange is in person. It has an outside chance at the present time. For now the uncertain fit and low durability of the Rain Shield jacket are keeping it out of contention, but if I ever see one in person I’ll try it on and if the fit is good I might grab one to try out.